Friday, April 23, 2010

Aspen

Yesterday I spent the day at the zoo, helping out with the Earth day extravaganza. I'm not certified on any of the cool animals yet and didn't want to sit in the heat with a large and disgusting Rococo Toad, so I attached myself to one of the Senior Docents early on, helping her out with the birds of prey. This is Aspen, the Golden Eagle I spent the day with. She is really beautiful and loves the attention she draws, but I still am blown away how much I had to tell people to back up. Those are two inch long talons of pain and infection; please don't hold your toddler that close. My job beyond crowd control was holding onto one of her eggs. This led to countless explanations about what "unfertilized" means. Do kids not take sex ed any more?
When a momma bird and a daddy bird love each other very much... More people correctly identified her as a Golden Eagle than I expected, considering they do not live in this area. It turns out that Auburn has one that they fly around the stadium before football games. Since one in ten people here are wearing an Auburn shirt at any time, hearing people happily shout "War Eagle!" probably should have been no surprise.

1 comment:

rachel said...

She's so pretty! I got to fly the Australian version of a Golden Eagle (can't remember what it's actual name is) when were in Cannes. It was awesome, what incredible birds! How fun! I want to docent at a zoo. You're just cool.