Monday, May 7, 2012

Cancun 1 of 4: Chichen Itza

 Recently Marc and I took an actual grown up vacation, while Case lived it up with his grandparents. 
We went to Cancun, to go diving and see archeological sites.
 Our first big exploration was to Chichen Itza.  I've wanted to see pyramids for years, and these were truly amazing.  
Temple of the Warriors
Check out the skulls carved on the aptly named "Skull Platform."



 Group of a Thousand Columns
Las Monjas (left) and La Iglesia (right)
El Castillo, with cool serpent effect on the side of the stairs (we were there very close to the equinox.)
 I admit to getting us very lost on the way there, before we even left the city.  Once you are on your way it is a very easy drive, but Cancun itself doesn't believe in crazy things like street signs.  So one early turn in the city is disastrous. 
 We still had a fabulous time.

1 comment:

Jill T said...

That is awesome! I'll bet it was incredible to see in person. I miss talking to you, i have a system down with my phone now, so it should work.