Sunday, May 13, 2012

Cancun 2 of 4: Diving

 While in Cancun we went on multiple dives so I could finish up my Padi certification.  This was fun, but the visibility wasn't great.  The water really was this exquisite blue though. 
The best part of getting my cert done was that a couple days later when we were able to go on an amazing cave dive near Tulum.  Our guide was a short Mayan guy who had a great frog-like kick to keep from stirring up silt in the glass water, and an eight foot hose on his spare regulator hooked to a double tank.  Extremely reassuring, as we were diving in areas with no overhead access.
My little underwater camera couldn't catch enough light in the caves, which is too bad.  Luckily, there are people out there with really expensive cameras that can show you the exact cenote we dove in, like these sites.  This was an amazing dive, the favorite I have been on.  The bubbles on the roof of the cave glittered like mercury.  The water was so clear and the landscape so alien it felt like being in space.  Stalactites stretched down from the ceiling; a weird thing to see under water.  Tiny fish flew by the beams of our flashlights and bats fluttered overhead (in the air...no swimming bats here.)  A wonderful experience that I would recommend to anyone, excluding those with claustrophobia.   

1 comment:

Rockwood said...

That looks like so much fun. Diving in a cave still freaks me out a bit, but it is so pretty, maybe I could overcome that!