Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Honu

Not the turtle we saw, this one was at a zoo.
 On Saturday we went snorkeling at Hanauma Bay.  Case loves looking at all the fish and chattering about them through the snorkel.  He floats better than anyone I know.
 We were there early this time, and the beach was nice and quiet (comparatively anyway.)  Swimming after a large shape in the water, Case and I were delighted to find a turtle munching away on the seaweed that makes their flesh green.
 We quietly watched the turtle eating for nearly 10 minutes, which in Case years is the equivalent of about 3 weeks.  The turtle kept a casual eye on us but didn't mind our staring, drifting with the waves nearly close enough to touch.  We actually had to back away from him several times, as I really didn't want a wave to crash him into us (he was over two feet across his back.)
Case's drawing of a turtle
When Case was done, he said goodbye and swam away.  What a lucky place for us to be.

3 comments:

deb said...

His picture is adorable. I love the turtle's big smile and it looks to be waving.

Rockwood said...

I can't wait to snorkel with all the boys. That will be a blast! Crazy you were able to get so close to the turtle. What Case needs is one of those dive face masks that has a microphone that he can broadcast to everyone on the beach!

Lara said...

I love that he chatters through the snorkel about what he's looking at. I can't wait for February! Also, he may need to send me a drawing of himself swimming with a turtle and some fish.