Sunday, January 27, 2013

Caldera

Well done on the comments regarding the previous post!  Having received sufficient validation, I will now post the next segment of the trip.

When last we left our heroes, they were trekking through lava tunnels in the rain forest.  Our next adventure was checking out the smoking Halema'uma'u crater of Kilauea from the Jagger Museum.  You can see lots of smoke pouring from the earth there, but it's not high enough to see in to the fiery open pit of lava from there.  Case was a good sport and yelled about volcanoes a lot, but I think he was a little disappointed.
At night, however, the lava lights up like the fires of hell.  Case was much more impressed by that.
In the interest of truth, Marc insists that I identify the above picture as a slight trick of the camera, and that the actual appearance was more like the still impressive photo below.  I will also take this opportunity to confess that I gathered a small crowd behind my tripod and quite enjoyed the attention.

6 comments:

Lara said...

so is 4 the magic comment number? We can bring it on

Lara said...

also, looks awesome. I bet C was thrilled
See, we are already halfway there

Rockwood said...

0What did you do with your camera to make the shot? Slow speed? It would be fun to go up to the edge and look in, but it would probably burn your eyeballs out.2 weeks!

deb said...

Beautiful ! Looking at the pics I thought what a cool place to hide a LB. Have you found any since your move? Thinking of packing my stamp.

Jill T said...

I swear I wrote a big long comment on here about Lara and I in Costa Rica being disappointed about not getting to spit into the crater of mount Arenal, but apparently I didn't. Anyway, I feel you case.

ps. I finished Rilla of Ingleside and I loved it the best. I forgot to tell you.
-jill

rachel said...

Whatever, the lava pictures are BOTH pretty damn cool. ;)