Saturday, January 26, 2013

Lava Tubes

My boys and I just got home from a trip to the Big Island, (it's rather inconvenient that the largest island is also the name of the state, I blame Kamehameha.)  On our very first day we saw volcanoes and hiked around in drippy lava tubes in the rain forest   
 We actually hiked through the tunnel twice; once with a busload of tourists staggering through, and then again because Case loves tunnels.  The second time the tour had left and we had the cavern to ourselves.
 Case loves to admire his shadow.  I took a bunch of other photos of him in the lava tube, but he is streaky in all of them because the light was dim and he is always moving.  In this one he has stopped to check out his silhouette.
We exit the cave!  Case is on the stairs, moving swiftly upward.
A nice guy offered to get a photo of the three of us, it took some . . . encouragement to get Case to look at the camera.

And this was only the first day!  (Before we got sick!)  More to follow!

5 comments:

Lara said...

That is so cool. I didn't even know that those tubes were a thing. So glad you had fun. See you soon

deb said...

Did you see any salamandars ?
What a cute family picture.10092 homeofm

Rockwood said...

encouragement, thats a good word! Those tubes look like they would be cool inside. Nice you got them by yourselves for a bit. See you soon!

Jill T said...

Those tubes are really cool. That picture of the three of you cracks me up. I think I like it even better because Case doesn't seem that miffed.
Hope the sickness didn't last too long.

Pat said...


We have not seen these caves or the volcanoes from this perspective. Great photos of the lava!

Pat said I should admit to making these comments. I figured out how to get the comments to post finally but don't seem to have an account of my own. Dale