Sunday, March 28, 2010

Air Show

We went to an air show at Maxwell yesterday, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Wright brothers establishing the Wright Flying school in Montgomery.Say hi to the airplane!Sadly, not pictured is Case hugging an airplane. He shouted about it, ran over and hugged the nose of a static display, and then refused to do it again. Serves me right for ever letting my camera out of my hand.Boom! Creepy routine called "Tora! Tora! Tora!" Japanese planes simulated the attack at Pearl Harbor. It was impressive to watch, especially with the explosions, but the P.A. recited facts about the attack during the show which added a grim touch. I think that was supposed to make it educational, but 2400 deaths isn't entertainment.
Respect the Caribou!This is an army plane, the C-7 Caribou, a cargo plane used during the Vietnam War. It doesn't sound like a warplane's name, but to be fair it is an awkward looking thing. I kept growling at Marc and telling him to fear the Mighty Caribou.

The Thunderbirds are the Air Force's demonstration team and the real draw for the air show. Check out the cool art on the bottoms of the planes.
Top and bottom of the planes. Not photoshopped, also not followed by a fiery explosion. The pilots are good at their jobs.

Off we go into the wild blue yonder.

2 comments:

rockwoodimages said...

Wow, I always wanted to see the Thunderbirds. It has to be pretty exciting - and sort of scary to watch the air show. They are getting the max out of their planes in shows. I can only imagine someone who had been at Perl Harbor watching the show. When I was a kid, the guy that lived across the street was on the Arizona when it was attacked. I was too young to know what that meant at the time, but do now. Im glad Case had a good time, he probably loved the explosions and other pyrotechnics.

~SHERI said...

Ah! I am SOOO bummed I didn't know you were going. My best friend here is married to one of the thunderbirds, and he was there, with VIP tickets. Dang-it! Did you know Nellis is their home base? We get to watch them practicing and it is really rad.