Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Aquarium

Alright, time for some less grim pictures!
Over spring break we took a couple of days off and went out to Atlanta. Friday we went to the Aquarium. Our drive there was filled with staccato questions about when we would see the jellyfish. Soon, we promised, with fingers crossed; neither of us certain that they had jellyfish.

After purchasing season passes, the guide asked if she could help us in any other way. Just point us at the jellyfish.

Case's patience was well rewarded, with a jellyfish tank easily 7'x15'. We then watched for an hour.
The Georgia Aquarium has a 6.3 million gallon tank, filled with giant groupers, dozens of the more bizarre shark species, two manta rays, and 4 whale sharks. I could have sat in this room all day long, but it was sadly lacking any jellyfish so we had to move along.
We did take time to pet the little rays. Case's head exploded every time he touched one. They were pretty amazing, but didn't quite compare to the jellyfish, where we ended our day.

We spent a lovely 5 hours at the aquarium, approximately half of which was spent watching jellyfish. If only there was a bench near the tank.

5 comments:

rockwoodimages said...

He has always loved jelly fish. He watches them so intently, if is fun to watch him watching them. It looks like he enjoyed petting the rays too. I wish I was there.

rockwoodimages said...

Your use of the word "staccato made me look it up! It fits pretty good!

deb said...

I love that he is enthralled with jellies. Maybe he'll be a marine
biologist !!

Lara said...

Maybe thats how his head started bleeding

rachel said...

I love jellyfish too. They're my favorite. When I was on tour with Scooby Doo, I found every Aquarium- the best jellies got the high score.
Also, WHALE SHARKS!!!!!!!!!!! What?!!! That is amazing. And if bleeding hadn't shortly ensued I would say that I am super jealous. But maybe Lara is right and the bleeding was spontaneous head explosion from awesomeness... You never know.
Great pics Erin.
-R